We offer free fluid testing, analysis, and result interpretation. This offering helps end users in diverse manufacturing plants to keep a tab on the health and operational status of their heat transfer fluids.
The multiplicity of applications, process conditions and potential scenarios means that there is no standard rule of thumb for fluid longevity and service worthiness. As such, our fluid testing and analysis service helps to set benchmarks for fluid changeouts and top offs. This complimentary service is an immensely valuable tool that operators rely on for the tracking and prediction of system issues before they happen. By taking a preventative maintenance approach to thermal fluid management, equipment owners and operators reduce maintenance costs, improve production uptime while running a safer, cleaner, and trouble-free heat transfer system.
Relatherm tests for physical and chemical properties such as Flash Point, Total Acid Number (TAN), Kinematic Viscosity, Fire Point, Auto-Ignition Temperature (AIT) and moisture content. More advanced tests can also include simulated distillation by Gas Chromatography and Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) Spectroscopy. Our Thermal Fluid Engineers keep an eye out for considerable increases in TAN and viscosity which may point towards fluid oxidation. We also track and flag a drastic decrease in the flashpoint, fire point and auto-ignition temperature which is indicative of thermal cracking. You will be equally advised about the presence of contaminants if any show up on FTIR spectrum.
Top Seven Reasons
To Test Your Heat Transfer Fluid
Top Seven Reasons To Test Your Heat Transfer Fluid
- Predict and detect the onset on fluid oxidation, thermal cracking and contamination before issues arise.
- Ensure employee health and safety.
- Track and trend indices that can be used to gauge system performance over time.
- Ensure process safety management by flagging a reduction in flash point, fire point and auto-ignition temperature.
- It costs you nothing! You get expert laboratory testing and analysis from Relatherm for free.
- Determine optimum fluid changeout cycle based on historical benchmarks.
- Attract available insurance premium benefits and comply with policy requirements.
Top Seven Triggers
For Heat Transfer Fluid Testing
Top Seven Triggers For Heat Transfer Fluid Testing
- Regular heat transfer fluid change-out scheduled time is near
- The commissioning of a new system, a fluid test and analysis will set the benchmark for future comparisons.
- Virgin heat transfer fluid is used to top-off used heat transfer fluid
- The occurrence of process upsets that causes system temperature to go outside the minimum or maximum use temperatures specified for the heat transfer fluid. A fluid test and analysis helps to determine if there are any detrimental effects on the thermal fluid.
- The observance of pump cavitation, boiler set-point issues, system performance problems and product quality problems attributable to imprecise temperature control.
- A contaminant gets into the heat transfer fluid
- An existing production process or system is re-engineered or modified.
See recommendations on heat transfer fluid sampling and testing frequency here.